Welcome to the Iowa CrossRoads Region of the Cadillac and LaSalle Club!
The Standard of the World
WELCOME to the online home of the Iowa CrossRoads Region of the Cadillac and LaSalle Club!
Please take time to browse our site. We welcome your comments and suggestions on how we can make it better.
Not long after its humble beginnings in 1902, Cadillac gained the reputation of being in a league of its own! From Henry Leland’s passion for close tolerances and parts interchangeability (which led to its first Dewar Trophy in 1908, and the adoption of the slogan “Standard of the World”), there has been no car quite like a Cadillac!
Charles Kettering’s self-starter would earn the 1912 Cadillac the nickname “The Car That Has No Crank,” and his electric lights developed the same year would lead to a second Dewar trophy. Harley Earl’s LaSalle was another first for Cadillac in that it was the first car in which styling was considered equally important to the engineering task!
Our Club, likewise, had humble beginnings in 1999, but we strive to be the best—the STANDARD of car clubs–the club by which all others are compared!
Please peruse our site, view some of the pictures of some of our members and their cars, scan a few of our newsletters and you’ll discover many of the great people and events which makes our car community what it is. Then click the “JOIN US” link, and be a part of our association.
We come from many backgrounds, but what draws us together is our love for our cars! If you like old Cadillacs and LaSalles and enjoy socializing, come join us.
Here are our next club events to which you may look forward in 2018:
(Please consult your copy of “The Voice” for dates and times or go to the “Members Only page”. They are not published here for reasons of security):
- February 2018: Valentine’s luncheon and tour at the Hotel Pattee in Perry, Iowa.
- March 2018: Tours of Trinity Wind Towers and TPI Composites wind-power factories in Newton, Iowa.
- April 2018: Tour of the Heartland Acres Agribition Center in Independence, Iowa.
- May 2018: Our spring weekend retreat in Okoboji and Spirit Lake areas.
- June 2018: Our annual Olmsted-Urban House Ice Cream Social in Urbandale, Iowa.
- July 2018: A summer club picnic event near the old gas station in Brooklyn, Iowa.
- August 2018: A summer weekend retreat in Guttenburg, Iowa including a driving tour through Elkader and Balltown and a tour of the Old Governor’s Mansion in Clermont.
- September 2018: Our annual participation in the Des Moines Concours d’Elegance weekend extravaganza at Pappajohn Sculpture Park in downtown Des Moines.
- October 2018: Tour of the fabulous Brucemore Mansion in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.
- November 2018: Tour of the Iowa Aviation Museum in Greenfield, Iowa.
- December 2018: Our annual Christmas luncheon and gift exchange in Ankeny, Iowa.
Iowa CrossRoads Region CLC
News & Press
Read about recent events, essential information and the latest community news.
Learn How to Use the CLC Judging Procedures
The Board of Directors has approved a comprehensive upgrading of CLC Judging. One element of that program is Judges’ Training Workshops. These in-depth Workshops are conducted to educate CLC members in the correct application of CLC judging procedures. Those who have not judged before and would like to judge at the 2018 GN as well as those who have judged before are encouraged to attend. It is also excellent preparation for those entering a car for judging—learn what you should do before you get to the GN.
WHAT IS A JUDGES’ TRAINING WORKSHOP?
It is six-plus hours of training, including classroom instruction and the actual judging of cars. Classroom Instruction will cover:
- Judging Foundation—Rationale, Philosophy of Judging, Judging Standard
- Entrant and Judge responsibilities
Practice Judging includes demonstration of the “as-new” judging standard. It also involves actually judging a potential show car followed by critique of the judging performed by workshop participants.
JUDGES’ RECOGNITION PROGRAM
A recognition program for judges has been established to recognize those who judge. Participating in a Judge’s Training Workshop will be awarded 3 or 4 points depending on each individual’s performance. More details on the Judges’ Recognition Program are provided on the CLC website.
When: Saturday, April 28, 2018; 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.; please arrive on time
Where: Covert Cadillac, 11750 Research Blvd., Austin, TX 78759; all activities will be inside.
Hotel: Hilton Garden Inn Austin NW/Arboretum; 11617 Research Blvd., Austin, TX 78759; close by Covert Cadillac. Hotel provides complimentary breakfast. It is 20 miles from the airport—use SuperShuttle or Icon Charter. Rate $129 plus tax. Call (512) 241-1600; mention Cadillac & LaSalle Club (CLC) Judges’ Workshop. All reservations must be guaranteed with a credit card. All registrants are responsible for paying for reserved accommodations and incidentals.
Cost: $45 to contribute to cost of conducting the Workshop. Cost covers lunch, refreshments and judging materials.
Sponsor: Covert Cadillac
Participants: Minimum 25; Maximum 50. If 25 don’t sign up, the Workshop will be cancelled. In the event of cancellation of the Workshop, the fee will be refunded. Maximum limited by date of registration form receipt; fees will be refunded to those persons exceeding 50. Minimum of 25 registrants required due to time, effort and expenses.
Deadline: All registrations must be received by April 14, 2018; hotel registration is the same deadline
Registration:Use the Registration Form
- 9:00 to 11:30 a.m.—Judging Video and Lecture
- 10:30 a.m.—Morning Break
- 11:30 a.m. to Noon—Open Book Examination on Judging Issues
- Noon to 1:00 p.m.—Lunch
- 1:00 to 5:00 p.m.—Practice Judging
- 3:00 p.m.—Afternoon Break
Other: Austin is home to a vibrant music scene; Circuit of Americas is 25 miles away. The 2018 GN is also about 25 miles away if you want to check out the area.
William C. “Bill” Anderson, P.E., National Chief Judge
Current year’s newsletters are abridged. Full version is available to members in the Members’ Only Area!